Sex O Artistas Brasileiros U.S.A. is the love-child of artist Alexandre E. (oil on canvas, sculpture and mix-media) and ten other Brazilian artists including:
- Luciano Lima Lima, abstract mixed media
- Margarette Mattos, abstract mixed media
- Josias Monteiro, oil and mixed media
- Evaldo Rocha, digital media
- Sid Degois, acrylic
- Lyria Garcia, photography
- Andreza Moon, mixed media, body paint, 3D sculpture
- Ricardo Nassif, oil and acrylic
- Ricardo Rodrigues, mixed media
- Eudes Barbosa, filmmaker
Conceived by Alexandre E., the intent of the show is to bring sex out into the open – to stimulate conversation and to educate.
In a recent interview, Alexander E. noted that, “Sex O is a project designed to develop different points of view of this huge universe called Sex. Its aim is to show the most perfect and artistic expression of that beautiful, natural human act. Artistic, non-pornographic images of sexuality will be present but Sex O will also have an educational message. Organizations whose work focuses on sexually transmitted diseases, the related psychological impact they have and the pervasive issue of sexually related violence need opportunities to reach the public directly and informally. We have engaged several community partners to participate in this unique show. They will distribute sex education and prevention materials and provide sex health programs.”
The participating organizations are:
- Fenway Health Community Center: HIV - AIDS Action Committee - Prevention & SDT, Harold Dufour-Anderson LADC, Dr. Philip Finch and Coco Alinsug
- Cambridge Hospital - Family and Community Health General Prevention, Dr. Elisa Garibaldi
- MAPS - Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers, HIV - AIDS Action Prevention and fast exams program, Álvaro Santo and Milena Mello
Designed by Alexandre E., the show’s intriguing logo further educates the viewer. The “O” means, Ohhhh? Orgasm or “O” as a hole and, together, Sexo is sex in Portuguese the primary language of the participating artists!
Sex O will be on view at the Piano Craft Gallery June 7-30, 2019, 793 Tremont St., South End, MA, Fridays 6:00-8:00 pm, Saturdays 10:00 am-8:00 pm, Sundays 10:00 am-6:00 pm. Opening reception, Friday, June 7, 6:00 pm–10:00 pm.
The Piano Craft Gallery advances the understanding of contemporary visual and performing arts in the community and promotes artistic purposes through exhibits, performances, lectures, meetings, and seminars in connection with matters of artistic concern. The Piano Craft Gallery is an all volunteer-run non-profit community gallery space devoted to sharing artists’ work with the public.
The Piano Craft Gallery, dedicated to offering thought-provoking and engaging exhibitions, is a historic Boston landmark located at 793 Tremont Street, Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.pianocraftgallery.com, www.facebook.com/artpcgboston, or https://www.instagram.com/artpcgboston.